In This Week’s Show An Indiana drinking guru wants us to visit a women’s haunted house so we can understand the threat of drunk Muslins.
Now, grab a beer and help us test the god hypothesis — because, while Sheaziolie’s Asshole hasn’t struck us down yet, we are trying his patience!
Shea’s Life Lesson
This week I learned that limbless people can’t make snow angels… Only snow peanuts.
Jenn’s Actual Lesson
Did you know Akongo is the supreme god of the Ngombe people, who live in the Congo. He is the creator and as such he bears the epithet ‘he who forms’, meaning that it was he who gave the world its shape
But before we get to all that, let’s have a beer!
This Week’s Beer
Prusik Pilsner | Powderhaus Brewing Company
- BA Link: http://bit.ly/2eowjVg
- BA Rating: –
- Style: German Pilsner
- ABV: 4.9%
- Aaron: 1
- Jenn: 6
- Shea: 2
- Steve: 3
Urban Funkhouse | The Collective Brewing Project
- BA Link: http://bit.ly/2fcQhUn
- BA Rating: –
- Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale
- ABV: 7.2%
- Aaron: 7
- Jenn: 5
- Shea: 7
- Steve: 2
This Week’s Show
Round Table Discussion
So much love to my Midwest peeps!
by: Raven’s angst (United States)
Every week there’s just something about listening to these guys that makes me smile. Whether it’s their irreverent style while looking straight on at the horrific stories that sometimes pop up, or just the fact that someone out here in this desert wasteland (not really) of Wyoming there are some folks just like me. Please keep on keeping on. I need hope.
by: Atheist welder in Alberta (Canada)
Aaron ,Shea, Jen, Steve, and (sorry guys) need more Jim. You are great. Back cataloging between new shows, laughing all the way. Just introduced my wife and 16-year-old son to the show with the latest episode (103), much laughter and a few gagging noises. Keep it up.
Award-winning home brewer and podcast related namer of beers Ben got in touch!
No new patrons this week, so we wanted to remind folks that last weeks patron episode was over an hour-thirty, including two really stupendously funny stories we couldn’t air in the standard cut because of time constraints. We’re careful to make sure our patrons get their monies worth for their generosity. Speaking of, we should say thank you to all our patrons, paypalists (to borrow a term from A–101) and especially to those who go to the site before they do their regular amazon shopping and get to Amazon from our referral link – you won’t pay an extra penny and Amazon cuts us a small portion of their profits for sending you to them. It’s a great system and from the small number of folks using it we manage to make a few bucks a month and it really adds up! So thanks to everyone who supports the show, in whatever form your support takes. We couldn’t do it without you!
Special thanks to everyone who wrote in with their own thoughts on what happened on the Dyatlov Pass. Our very own Napkin Pope feels that there was something seriously off with the mid–30s, camera-posting possible spy and the military had a serious hand in this.
Cai posted on our Patron link that he is skeptical of many of the details. What with it being Soviet Russia and all, that’s not a bad idea. But there is a lot of evidence and documentation for at least the bare bones.
Nathan on Twitter cut to the chase and feels a tracer round land ON the actual tent, so experienced hikers or not, you’re gonna get the hell out of there.
If anyone is interested in some more info on it, RustyPyro sent in a recommendation for the book Dead Mountain by Donnie Eichar as a good resource.
Follow-up From Steve
BYU to Students: If You Report Sexual Assault, We Won’t Punish You for Breaking the Rules Anymore – http://bit.ly/2fcRNpy
Follow-up From Jenn
Texas Quietly Prepares To Pass New Rules Requiring Doctors To Bury or Cremate Fetal Remains – http://bit.ly/2fcQMh9
We talked, frequently and at length, about the nut bags who took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge. You know, droopy-lip and his merry band of buffoons. Well, turns out they took over the right refuge because in what will surely go down in history as a prime example of a “jury of one’s peers” they let those jackasses go!
Yeah. That’s right. After weeks (months?) of an armed standoff, pages of social media admissions (albeit usually in the form of begging for new underwear) and an refuge full of smashed artifacts and poised land jury of — and I’m just guessing here — straight, white, cis, male, republican, high-school dropouts acquitted Bundy of being a nutbar. In totally unrelated, not at all the same news, SWAT used fucking APC’s to roll up on a bunch of peaceful protesters at the pipeline site in Standing Rock and shot tear gas canisters at them and arrest a bunch of them. But don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll get a fair trial and be released as well. After all, this countries justice system doesn’t unfairly target ethnic minorities… Right?
Indiana bitch who beat her 7yo with coat hanger gets off with probation – http://bit.ly/2fcQFCj
- Khin Par Thaing of Indianapolis, Indiana, was sentenced to only one year of probation
- She beat her 7 yo son with a coat hanger leaving 36 bruises across the boy’s back, thigh, and left arm as well as a bruise on his cheek (shaped like the hook of a coat hanger)
- Two days after the beating a teacher noticed the bruising and contacted authorities
- Bitch’s lawyer cited RFRA act (signed by douche-bag extraordinaire, Mike Pence) in her defense, saying the act gave her the right to discipline her children in accordance with her beliefs
- Fortunately, the prosecutor didn’t agree, saying the beating, “(goes) beyond these religious instructions she cites from the Bible.”
- She was charged with battery as a level 5 felony and neglect as a level 6 felony. The battery carries a prison sentence of one to 10 years; neglect carries a sentence of six months to 2½ years.
- She’s a Burmese refugee who was granted political asylum in the US
Indian “Guru” and complete asshole calls his rape accusers “trash” – http://bit.ly/2fcRpHy
- Complete fuckhead and amazing asshole, Bikram Choudhury, was interviewed by HBO’s Real Sports
- He’s been accused of rape by multiple women who participated in his teacher training for his style of hot yoga
- Six of those women have sued him as a result, with two having settled and four cases ongoing
- He’s never faced criminal charges as a result, but he was ordered in Jan ’16 to pay $6.4M to a former legal advisor in a civil suit for sexual harassment (he fired her when she investigated allegations that he raped a student)
- Three victims were interviewed and he answered their charges in the interview by calling them “trash” and saying regarding one of them that he “wouldn’t even piss on her face” and calling her a “psychopath.” At one point, he asked the interviewer, “Why do I have to harass women? People pay $1 million for one drop of my sperm. I can make million dollar a day. Every drop. You are that idiot or dumb to believe this trash.”
Good news women. You drink as much as we men! – http://bbc.in/2fcP8Ml
- According to a meta-analysis study by researchers at the University of New South Wales
- Women now drink nearly as much as men and are nearly as likely to suffer as a result
- In the early 1900s, men were twice as likely to drink, 3x as likely to be problem drinkers, 3.6x as likely to have related health issues
- Now, men are only 1.1x as likely to drink at all, 1.2x as likely to be problem drinkers, and 1.3x as likely to have the heath issues
- Congratulations, women, you’ve nearly reached parity with men in this area. Now to address that pesky pay gap.
This Week’s Stories
Shea’s Story – Patreon.com/w4w
Yuengling shows support for Trump… – http://bit.ly/2fcR5sm
- If Donald Trump were president, there’d be a lot more places like D.G. Yuengling & Son, the Pottsville, Schuylkill County-based brewing company said Eric Trump during a tour of Yuengling’s brewery in East Norwegian Township.
- “This is an amazing American success story,” Trump said during a brief news conference at the brewery. “We need a lot more of these.
- Trump said high taxes, over-regulation, and Obamacare are “destroying” American businesses – a familiar theme of the Trump campaign.“My father’s going to make it a lot easier for business to function,” he declared. “We’re going to do it right here in the U.S.”
- Dick Yuengling welcomed Trump, thanking him for taking the time to visit the brewery. “Our guys are behind your father,” Yuengling said. “We need him in there.”
- Yuengling’s sweeping Trump praise had a lot of Pennsylvanians choking on their brews, and campaigns to boycott the 187-year-old brewery were quickly underway.
- Pennsylvania’s first openly gay legislator, Brian Sims, penned a scathing Facebook post-Wednesday, announcing that he will no longer pour Yuengling in his glass after 17 loyal years of drinking. Sims tagged a laundry list of gay bars in the post and urged them to refrain from serving the traditional lager at their establishments.
- “One of the most prevalent brands in (Philadelphia’s) Gayborhood and in LGBT bars across the Commonwealth is using our own dollars to back a person and an ideology that says that our lives and our loves matter less,” said Sims, a Democrat representing Philadelphia’s 182nd District. “More to the point, those dollars are being used RIGHT NOW to give power to his bigoted messages attacking our black and brown neighbors and all of the women in our lives.”
- Several bars in Washington, D.C., also announced they were throwing out their Yuengling kegs for good following the fifth-generation owner’s Trump endorsement.
- Gypsy Sally’s, a music venue and bar near the D.C. waterfront, put its own spin on the boycott by announcing it will continue to serve the brew until the kegs run dry — and then donate all proceeds from Yuengling pours directly to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
- The Teamsters union, which represents over 1.3 million blue-collar workers across the country, called for a national boycott of Yuengling products in 2014 after the now Trump-touting owner publicly stated that Pennsylvania should implement anti-union laws because businesses “shy away when they come into this state” and have to pay their worker’s union-mandated wages.
- A Far South Side grade school will not co-host a haunted house that contained, among other depictions, a representation of the June 2016 shootings at the Pulse nightclub, according to CPS officials.
- Fernwood Elementary School
- haunted house entitled The Room: A Journey to Hell that was scheduled to take place the evenings of Oct. 29 and Oct. 30.
- Advertised as a “Christian interactive experience,” the event is produced by Tyrone Tappler Productions.
- the company asked on Facebook for volunteers who’d depict the victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting: “Club Pulse, Dancers, Victims … CAGED PEOPLE/SCREAMERS, Extras needed trying to escape a cage! … SOUNDS INTERESTING? COME OUT THIS SATURDAY!!!”
- Among other scenarios reportedly depicted in the haunted house were a botched abortion and the 2015 Charleston church shooting. According to the ticket sales page, The Room “is a real life haunted house. Guests will experience IN YOUR FACE scenes of dark reality. … You will walk in 10 Rooms and encounter individuals who will make choices. The choice is life or death; sin or salvation; heaven or hell. The scenes will be action-packed, real and jaw-dropping.”
- “Hating is a common trait someone called CPS and had our production shut down the day before showtime they said it was offensive and demeaning for it to be on school grounds,” Williams wrote. “We worked so hard on this production our director is getting hate mail and messages for trying to shed light on the truth of the world.”
- “They are some sad haters,” wrote Tralynn Brown. “God will work it out.”
Virginia Sheriff Plans Educational Seminar on Islam Called “Understanding the Threat” – http://bit.ly/2fcTkvL
- In Greene County, Virginia, Sheriff Steve Smith wanted to offer the community a lesson on Islam so they could better understand their own neighbors, including new refugees settling in the area. The problem is that the title of that class was called “Understanding the threat.”
- “It was kind of like a shock to me as a member of the student-Muslim community.” said [Piedmont Virginia Community College student Wadah] Al Mulhim.
- “The title itself should be changed,” said Al Mulhim. “Islam is not a threat, the threats are extremists who make us look bad, who make any religion look bad.”
- … the seminar does not include any Muslim speakers and is led by Chris Gaubatz, the author of ‘Muslim Mafia: Inside the Secret Underworld that’s Conspiring to Islamize America.’
Next Week’s Beer
Idaho Select Lager | Wallace Brewing / Orehouse Tasting Room
Faith In Humanity Restored
- Real Story: Technology May Rescue Male Baby Chicks From The Grinder – http://bit.ly/2fcUhnJ
- Hat Tip: to the United Church of Christ for fighting for true religious freedom. In 2014, the UCC sued North Carolina, arguing that the state’s ban on same-sex marriage infringed on the UCC’s religious freedom to officiate legal same-sex marriages – http://bit.ly/2fcVUld
Bonus Cat Video
- Yellowstone’s Zone of Death – http://bit.ly/2fcT282
- NASA Pumpkin Carving Competition – http://bit.ly/2fvtO8Q
- Space Station Fly-Through – http://bit.ly/2fcW7oN
Join The Discussion
We’d love to hear from you!
To comment on a show or suggest a brew visit our web, twitter or Facebook pages. As always, we’d love to get a good rating on iTunes or Stitcher!