Dropbox Download Link: bit.ly/2wDjGCI
Get more Wrath at Patreon.com/W4W!
In this week’s show, episode 146, Germany invades our podcast, but leaves all that Nazi shit in the past, where it fucking belongs!
Now, grab a beer and help us test the god hypothesis — because, while Chang’e (Chinese goddess of the moon) hasn’t struck us down yet, she did block out the sun this week
T’Boogs’ Life Lesson
I learned that drinking real beer at 7200 feet is different than drinking shitty German beer at 1500 feet… Drinking a variety of beer is the spice of life.
Jim’s Good Gay News
Three Aussie drag queens rescued a gay man who was being attacked outside a gay bar. The victim is raising money to replace the wigs, nails, and shoes damaged in the scuffle. Because they kicked the bigot’s ass! bit.ly/2vtghRE
Jenn’s Actual Lesson
Did you know Chinese moon goddess Chang’e is worshipped on the Mid-Autumn day – the night of the full moon in the eighth lunar month? Her, mainly female, worshippers erect an altar facing the moon and in exchange, she is said to endow them with beauty.
Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s Chang’e.
But before we get to all that, let’s have a beer!
This Week’s Beer
Holy Shit Ale – Schoppe Brau Berlin
- From: Dennis
- BA Link: bit.ly/2wNXgus
- BA Rating: 85
- Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
- ABV: 10%
- Aaron: 6
- Steve: 4
- T’Boogs: 8
- Jim: 3
- Jenn: 5
This Germans Beer!
Paulaner Zwickl | Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG
- BA Score: N/A
- BA Link:bit.ly/2xxFhZv
- Style: Kellerbier / Zwickelbier
- ABV: 5.50%
- Jim: 10
- Aaron: 10
- Steve: 8
- Jenn: 9
- T-Boogs: 10
This Week’s Show
Round Table Discussion
Aaron met cool Tim and Keith, who gave us an ass LOAD of beer!
I hope you enjoyed the eclipse! A big “hi” to the Pike’s Peak atheists.
We have some patrons to thank!
- First off, Zack updated his pledge … and his name – see, Jim, making fun of people’s names does workout!
- Frederick donated – he also let us know that you can set a monthly donation cap! So if some of you were worried about spending too much, apparently Patreon thought of that.
- And finally, we gave jeebus the heebies… thanks, Heebey Jeebus!
Hilarious and Beer tactic!
These guys (and girl) are a hilarious group who comment on current issues and topics. They are a beacon of laughs and beer for your busy work week. I highly recommend listening to their weekly podcast, I was hooked after my first listening. Also, as a Michigander, I suggest drinking that Oberon with an orange slice on the glass.
Well, last week’s beer got a lot of attention! Apparently, Oberon is a SUPER popular beer. Eli, it was our pleasure to restore your faith. Also, a fantastic listener, Keegan is teasing us that Bell’s Brewery will actually be sending us beer themselves. We’re awaiting this…wrathfully.
Language of Religious Affiliation – bit.ly/2wvGVP8
- You might recall a while back our pod-sphere was full of rage at the notion that religious people are happier. It’s certainly repeated frequently enough…
- Anyway, in a new study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science (impact factor 2.3 – so not terrible, but not great either) researcher used the App “MyPersonality” on 12,815 Facebook users’— The App, created by some guy named David who does now have a Ph.D. from Cambridge, checks your Facebook status’ and posts and builds a personality profile of you.
- Religious Facebook users were more likely to use positive words such as “happy,” “family” and “love”, while agnostic or atheist posters were more inclined to use phrases such as “hate” and “angry” — all of which is subjective, because if your “family” kills and eats people, they probably shouldn’t be in the ‘positive’ category. The inverse is true of ‘Hating’ Nazis for example.
- Researchers “found that positive emotion and social words are associated with religious affiliation whereas negative emotion and cognitive processes are more associated with non-religious affiliation,” according to David Yaden, lead author of the study.
- So, if you’re a shitty creationist trying to convince freshmen that agnostics are sad, stop listening now. If, however, you’re down with actual information…
- Non-religious posters were more inclined to use words connected to the cognitive process, such as “thinking” and “reasons” vs. stupid shit like “faith,” “devil,” and praying.
- So, you want the real fucking truth of it all… turns out that when you’re a religious zealot you use terms like nice, family, praying, happy, bless, and the like often even when discussing your god shitting on your life.
- Whereas atheists use words like; death, sex, beer, talk, think, evidence and fuck — apparently we say ‘fuck’ a-fucking-lot!Which makes sense, because I get sick to fucking death and when I think about all the sexist assholes, douchebag anti-beer tea-totalers, and fucking Nazis car-ing people to death. Never mind the stupid jerks talking about the lack of evidence for a globe shaped Earth. So yeah, that fucking irritates me.… See-, I just used them all.
Do Robots Dream of Electric Bodhisattvas? –bit.ly/2xpD6Hs
- In episode 135 we talked about Xian’er – the wee-lil’ robot taken from the pages of his creator’s cartoons. He looked like Charlie Brown and answered questions about Buddhism. Well, he’s had a bit of an upgrade.
- Softbank Group Corp.’s humanoid robot Pepper has taken on various roles since its mass-market debut in 2015.
- The 1.2-meter tall robots with round white heads and the ability to read emotions have been deployed to banks, sushi shops, and nursing homes. Now, Pepper will don a Buddhist monk’s robe.
- A Japanese funeral business has set out to create burial services for the budget minded…
- Rather than feeding your dearly departed whoever to coyotes, which is easily the cheapest way to get all this taken care of, you can now spend about 7,500$ (which is somehow way less than Buddhist priests charge) to have this robot come out to the cemetery and recite pre-programmed sutras from major Buddhist texts.
- So… that’s creepy. Apparently, there are some 10,000 of these robots doing whatever, from helping people order ramen to taking reservations at a hotel. Nissi Eco will premiere the new robo-solemnizer at this year’s Life Ending Industry Expo, to be held later this month in Tokyo.
Buttering Up The Bishop… – logo.to/2vt3y1H
- Corneliu Barladeanu, the Bishop of Husi in northeast Romania, stepped down Friday “for the peace and good of the church,” after a video surfaced of him having sex with a 17-year-old male student.
- The 51-year-old cleric maintains his innocence, though, insisting the tape had been doctored.
- He will remain a monk in the Orthodox church but will hold no official post and cannot celebrate the Eucharist.
- Church officials insisted the scandal was fueled by “an aggressive campaign of some media outlets aimed against the Romanian Orthodox Church, often with the complicity of some errant priests. All believers… should respect the discipline of the church and permanently renew their spiritual lives.”
- They had a two day Holy Synod about the event… after which they said “Meh, fuck it. Him the boys and fuck you, we do who we want.” except in Russian.
This Second Half
German Stuff Quiz!
Next Week’s Beer
Xtra-Citra Pale Ale – Surly Brewing Co
- From: Reva (RW)
- BA Link: bit.ly/2wNMHYd
- BA Rating: 88
- Style: American Pale Ale (APA)
- ABV: 4.5%
Faith In Humanity Restored
Tis the season to be giving!
But that’s the holidays says you. Nay says I. Everyone gives then, so few people give now. Which is why it’s nice to be able to say that since Charlottesville donations to the Anti-Defamation League have spiked nearly 1000%!
Other charitable organizations like the SPLC have seen their own increases.
As a reminder and plug so shameless Jim would never do it himself,
fortunately, 145 episodes of this show have proven that, if nothing else, I have no shame. Make a donation to WyoAids.org and help families living in Wyoming with HIV/AIDs get by. It’s tax deductible, we’ll send ya a patron cut and Big Gay Jim will say thanks, next time he’s on just like we do for patrons!
Tonight’s real story of giving though is teacher Rickee Stewart who decided between wedding gifts and her students. She chose students.
“I registered for tennis shoes and Converse and backpacks and winter coats for the homeless kids at our school,” Stewart told KSL, the NBC affiliate in nearby Salt Lake City.
“One of my students walked up very quietly and said, ‘So, my mom wants to know how I can actually get some of that food,’” Stewart said. “It’s very real.”
“Put yourself in the place of a 16-year-old junior in high school living in a car,” she wrote. “Where do you shower? Where do you wash your clothes? Where do you get your meals after school, on the weekends, or during spring break?”
Stewart has also set up a recurring monthly donation page to support learning and help students in her classroom on an ongoing basis:bit.ly/2vtmKfn
Join The Discussion
We’d love to hear from you!
To comment on a show or suggest a brew visit our web, twitter or Facebook pages. As always, we’d love to get a good rating on iTunes or Stitcher!
- Google Play: bit.ly/1VEhtx2
- Donate! wyoaids.org
- Voicemail: (513) 760–0463
Bonus Cat Video
- Space Station Transiting 2017 ECLIPSE, My Brain Stopped Working – Smarter Every Day 175 – YouTube bit.ly/2xxwjeX
- Game Of Thrones Theme Gayageum ver. by Luna/ Korean Festival of Maryland – YouTube
- Binging with Babish: The Fitz Sandwich from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – YouTube
- Solar Eclipse 101 | National Geographic – YouTube
- Thor: Ragnarok International Trailer #2 (2017) | Movieclips Trailers – YouTube
- Marvel’s The Defenders | Official Trailer 2 [HD] | Netflix – YouTube
- How to Hand Letter Like an Architect A to Z – YouTube
- Wanna See the Solar Eclipse? Here’s What You Have to Know | WIRED – YouTube
- What Happens If We Throw an Elephant From a Skyscraper? Life & Size 1 – YouTube
- “Guardians’ Inferno” | Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – YouTube
- Binging with Babish: Zelda – Breath of the Wild – YouTube
Thanks everyone! We couldn’t do it without your support!
- 0:00:30 – Intro
- 0:03:02 – This Week’s Beer – Holy Shit Ale
- 0:13:37 – Bonus German Beer – Paulaner Zwickl
- 0:22:35 – Round Table
- 0:31:51 – HL1 – Language of Religious Affiliation
- 0:39:09 – HL2 – Do Robots Dream of Electric Bodhisattvas?
- 0:48:06 – HL3 – Buttering Up The Bishop
- 0:54:03 – German Quiz Time!
- 0:58:03 – Question 1 – Jim
- 0:59:08 – Question 2 – Jenn
- 0:59:32 – Question 3 – Aaron
- 1:00:35 – Question 4 – Steve
- 1:02:04 – Question … Half Time… Quiz bowl half time…
- 1:02:37 – Question 5 – Jim
- 1:03:51 – Question 6 – Jenn
- 1:05:25 – Question 7 – Aaron
- 1:07:20 – Question 8 – Steve
- 1:08:57 – Question 9 – Jenn
- 1:10:28 – Question 10 – Aaron
- 1:11:42 – Question 11 – Steve
- 1:13:14 – Quiz Ending!
- 1:14:06 – Next Week’s Beer – Xtra-Citra Pale Ale
- 1:17:38 – Faith In Humanity Restored
- 1:20:54 – Outro – Thanks 4 Supporting Us!
- 1:21:34 – Outtakes
- 1:22:57 – Aaron’s Shame…