- 0:00:29 – Intro – Welcome To Wrath
- 0:03:23 – This Week’s Beer – Xtra’ Citra Pale Ale
- 0:08:28 – Round table
- 0:16:33 – HL1 – Don’t Try To Out-Smite God Dumbass
- 0:23:03 – HL2 – Still Cheaper Than A Wall…
- 0:29:19 – HL3 – This Bud’s For Texas!
- 0:33:51 – In For A Pence, In For A Pound
- 0:56:25 – Next Week’s Beer – Power of Zeus
- 0:57:53 – Faith In Humanity Restored
- 1:02:38 – Outro
- 1:03:15 – Outtakes
In this week’s show, episode 147, WE GOT ALL THE BEERS!
Now, grab a beer and help us test the god hypothesis — because, while Chac (the Mayan god of thunder, lightning and rain ) hasn’t struck us down yet, he has been busy in Texas!
Shea’s Life Lesson
This week I learned that if the human population held hands around the equator a significant portion of them would drown.
Jenn’s Actual Lesson
Did you know that Chac, the Mayan storm god, is supposedly depicted as a reptile with a scaled body. He also has matted hair, curled fangs, a turned-up nose, and large eyes shedding tears, a symbol of rain.
However, if you look at artistic portrayals, he’s more of an anthropomorphic elephant with tusk issues and dreadlocks.
But before we get to all that, let’s have a beer!
This Week’s Beer
Xtra-Citra Pale Ale – Surly Brewing Co
- BA Link: bit.ly/2wNMHYd
- BA Rating: 88
- Style: American Pale Ale (APA)
- ABV: 4.5%
- Aaron: 8
- Jenn: 8
- Shea: 8
- Steve: 8
Boston Beer Break, courtesy of the Yeti:
Fort Point Pale Ale – Trillium Brewery
- BA Link: bit.ly/2etrS10
- BA Rating: 99
- Style: American Pale Ale (APA)
- ABV: 6.6%
- Aaron: 10
- Jenn: 10
- Shea: 10
- Steve: 8
1694 – Skyroc Brewery
- BA Link: https: N/A
- BA Rating: ??
- Style: Double IPA
- ABV: 7.8%
- Aaron: 4
- Jenn: 6
- Shea: 8
- Steve: 4
This Week’s Show
Round Table Discussion
iTunes Reviews. Three for our birthday!
From: John Doe generic
Great show full of beer knowledge, and humorous views on the news. Give a listen, you’ll like it.
Love your show guys
Happy Belated Birthday!
Happy Birthday to Jenn and Big Gay Jim! This remains my favorite podcast. Thanks for everything
E-LEES-abet is the ElizaBEST. Winner of the most awesome patron of the week has sent a big ole parcel of fine beers, straight to us from Ft. Worth, TX.
Speaking of Beers beers you may have noticed some extra ones!
We have the most generous listeners in the entire damn world and you’ve out done yourself. Thank you E-LEE’s-e-Bet (whose name I got right!)! You’ve earned yourself an entire corner of our fridge!
to everyone who goes out of their way to collect unique, favorite or comically chelata’ded…ed beers for us to try! You’re all amazing and we’re forever in your debt!
Finally, we have some housekeeping to take care of.
Podbean is a giant asshole so we’re moving away from them. We’re going to be doing what I should have done from the get-go and host everything myself. I’m going to be doing the transfer a few days as of this episode’s release.
Ideally, no one will notice anything change… well, you’ll get fewer random downloads of old episodes, so that’s nice. I’ll continue to post the show in the old feed for a week or two just in case, those episodes will contain a small preamble letting you know you’re getting the Podbean episode.
But again, if everything goes as planned you’ll not see anything strange or different.
That’ll show ‘em! – Priest’s anger with God caused him to download child porn – bit.ly/2etqKtY
- Kevin Gugliotta, above, a former Catholic priest in Honesdale, Pennsylvania, reportedly told authorities that he downloaded porn to get revenge on God, whom he blamed for his gambling losses.
- Gugliotta, 55, was arrested in September 2016 after a month-long investigation. He was eventually charged with 20 counts of child porn and 20 counts of disseminating images of children involved in sexual acts. He pleaded guilty to one count of dissemination in return for the 39 other counts being dismissed.
- He told authorities he downloaded the child pornography because of poker. Specifically, Gugliotta, who told probation officers he is a poker player, felt that God was attacking him when he lost games and tournaments. By downloading the pornography, Gugliotta told officers, he felt he was getting revenge on God.
- Last year, after Gugliotta was arrested, we reported that the Vatican was informed around 2003 that Gugliotta was alleged to have molested a 16-year-old boy.
- But the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, then headed by soon-to-be-Pope Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, decided that he could continue working because the assault took place before he was ordained as a priest.
Mark Hamill Joins Campaign to Buy Twitter, Ban Donald Trump – bit.ly/2etocw5
- A crowdfunding campaign was recently started to purchase Twitter for the sole purpose of banning President Donald Trump from the platform. Actor Mark Hamill is a fan of the idea and said he donated to the GoFundMe cause. “Let’s #BuyTwitter and #BanTrump! With my #ArmageddonAnxiety growing daily- I donated gladly! #GoodLuckValerie,” Hamill tweeted.
- He later added, “#BuyTwitter is symbolic & satirical (Raise $1B? LOL!) Plus-I WANT him to keep tweeting-it’s all admissible evidence for #TrumpRussia/Mueller.”
- Now, the whole notion is satirical, which the Star Wars icon pointed out to his fans, but the fact remains the campaign so far has collected more than $80,000. www.gofundme.com/buytwitter
- The GoFundMe was started on behalf of Global Zero, an international non-partisan group of 300 world leaders dedicated to achieving the elimination of nuclear weapons.
1.- “Twitter is a publicly traded company. Shares = power. This GoFundMe will fund the purchase of a controlling interest in Twitter. At the current market rate that would require over a billion dollars — but that’s a small price to pay to take away Trump’s most powerful megaphone and prevent a horrific nuclear war.”
Anheuser-Busch Halts Brewing To Produce Canned Water For Hurricane Harvey Victims – bit.ly/2etj8rE
- Brewers at Anheuser-Busch are taking a break from beer right now, opting instead to produce and ship cans of water to victims of Hurricane Harvey.
- The Cartersville, Georgia brewery will send more than 50,000 cans of emergency drinking water to Baton Rouge this week, where Red Cross shelters will receive and distribute it. Clean drinking water could be in short supply in the areas affected as the storms rage on and rescue efforts continue.
“Throughout the year, we periodically pause beer production at our Cartersville, Georgia, brewery to produce emergency canned drinking water so we are ready to help out communities across the country in times of crisis. Putting our production and logistics strengths to work by providing safe, clean drinking water is the best way we can help in these situations,” Sarah Schilling, brewmaster of Anheuser-Busch’s Cartersville brewery, said in a statement.
- This isn’t the first time the brewer has come to the aid of those in need. In 2016, Anheuser-Busch produced and shipped over 2 million cans of emergency drinking water to communities hit by natural disasters, including the California wildfires, the Louisiana floods, and Hurricane Matthew.
This Week’s Stories
Quick preface, listeners: While we at W4W pride ourselves on not devoting air time to the White House-residing travesty that doesn’t have the self-awareness nature gave a yam, this story does reference him and refers to him tangentially. Because as much as it pains me, like cancer, ignoring him will not make him go away, and the subject of this story is literally one fork-in-a-plugged-in-toaster away from being president (because who knows WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK is going to happen when/if El Presidente Loco encounters a kitchen appliance…)
So while we are all being distracted by legitimately awful things like white supremacists & Nazi’s being normalized, the recent pardoning of racist-level-15 Sheriff Arpaio, and ridiculousness such as Loser in Chief staring atan eclipse without appropriate eyewear and Tweeting “Good luck” to Texas as Hurricane Harvey was bearing down, Mike Pence has been quietly moving a terrifying agenda forward.
The points I discuss are from upworthy.com
Things Mike Pence has been up to and why it matters:
1. In January, Pence and others lobbied Trump to take hard-line positions on abortion, making good on some of his anti-choice campaign pledges. This has included the reinstatement of the ‘Mexico Policy’ which forbids the US from giving foreign aid to groups that offer abortion services. He also spoke at this year’s annual March For Life in DC.
This is should come as no surprise to anyone following Pence’s career. Remember Periods for Pence? When he tried to criminalize miscarriages?
2. He’s been very vocal about supporting the use of tax dollars to fund religious schools.
Pence happened to the first VP to cast a tie-breaker to confirm the appointment of Betsy DeVos. Remember her? The billionaireheiress who had zero education-related qualifications to run the department, but she did have a history of donating to far-right causes and championing the use of public money to fund schools that would “advance God’s Kingdom”
Pence himself has long vocalized support for tax supported charter and religious schools. In fact, under his time as gov. Indiana saw quite the uptick in the number of public schools teaching creationism.
And since POTUS has absolutely no fucking clue about anything pertaining to education, we just need to come to terms that Pence is the engineer of this train.
3. Pence actually has been the deciding factor several times so far, including casting the tie-breaking vote to nullify an Obama-era rule allowing that Title X funds be used for family planning services.
(In case you are curious, Joe Biden never cast a single tie-breaking vote his entire 8yrs as VP.) Considering how he was championing the dissolution of Planned Parenthood, no one should be surprised. And obviously gutting the Title X rule is bad news, especially for low- and middle-income women across the country.
4. Did I mention poor people? Well, fuck them because Pence has championed efforts to roll back Dodd-Frank consumer protections.
What exactly does this mean? Remember when we had a financial collapse resulting in billions in bailouts and the loss of EVERYTHING for millions of workers? The legislation that went into effect to help prevent that sort economic devastation again is exactly what Pence swore to overturn at GOP retreat (vomit) this year, due to “overbearing mandates”. In May, he spoke out in favor of Republican Rep. Hensarling’s (Texas) CHOICE Act, which would deregulate the financial markets once again.
5. Adding to number 2, lest we forget he is a theocrat and zealot, here are few more items demonstrating his evangelical tendencies. He was an outspoken proponent of the “religious liberty” executive order and POTUS VOMITUS creating a National Day of Prayer.
Also, Pence addressed the first-ever World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians on May 11. This humiliating performance attempted to make the case that Christians are the true victims of terrorism in the Middle East. Much like Fox News spends the holiday season every year declaring a WAR ON CHRISTMAS.
Finally, on June 23rd he spoke to (anti-LGBTQ mega-churchy shit-show) Focus on the Family to reaffirm the administration’s commitment to helping “persecuted people of faith” and protecting their right to discriminate against LGBTQ people under the guise of “religious liberty”. Per Pence: “This president believesthat no American, no American should have to violate their conscience to fully participate in American life, and he has taken action to protect the expressions of faith by men and women across this nation.”
6. Did you know that in June he was put in charge of the nation’s space program? For a man who pushed for creationism in school and once claimed that “smoking doesn’t kill,” this is an odd choice. At least he has accepted that humans do have an effect on climate. That’s a win, right?
7. Finally, something that we are watching develop right now: Pence has been pressuring Congress for some time to implement anti-transgender policies in the military.
As I’m sure most of us have seen, Trump is banning transgender soldiers from all aspects of the military. It was his VP who started this ball rolling, and has been lobbying hard for months to fight back against trans inclusion in the military. Pence was reportedly putting pressure on members of Congress to hold the 2018 defense authorization bill hostage unless it included a rider barring funds being used for transition-related health care.
One bright note, the Department of Defense is holding off on implementing the tweeted policy until his Grand Orangeness formally submits a plan. However, considering this a pet project from the much more task-oriented and actually literate VP, it’s being considered nearly a done deal.
Malta church ceiling collapses –
- Part of the ceiling of the Ta’ Giezu church in Rabat collapsed during the night.
- and LifeShiteNews is pinning the blame on the country’s recognition of gay marriage.
“Malta legalized same-sex “marriage” this summer with practically no opposition from the country’s bishops. This happened just months after Malta’s bishops broke away from perennial Catholic teaching to allow couples living in habitual adultery to receive Holy Communion. “
- And it quoted the Lepanto Institute as saying:
Next Week’s Beer
Power of Zeus – High Hops Brewery, Co
- BA Link: bit.ly/2etwZhD
- BA Rating: 84
- Style: American Pale Ale (APA)
- ABV: 6.4%
Faith In Humanity Restored
Fuck you, bigots… in Danish… or Denmarkian… or whatever T’Boogs is gonna give me shit for not saying… bit.ly/2etvqju
Anyway, they’re having a bit of a party up there in Gesten, a small city of 900 in the Vejen municipality of South Jutland.
Apparently, a local city councilor and member of the Danish People’s Party ( which is a right-wing shit box of people, largely evangelical Lutheran the group is anti-immigration, monarchists, work against multiculturalism but oddly, approve of social welfare nets and education… even Scandinavia’s alt-right is more progressive than our mainstream GOP… ugh), one Annie Grimm, wrote a letter that said, among other things said:
“Devil’s be homosexuals, lesbians and other minorities”
I assume the obligatory “ARRRRRRR Matey” was left out for editorial reasons.
“The problem just arises only because these devils will force me and others to attend their more or less provocative sexual appearances on the open street or on the nationwide television …”
And, like the locals, we’ll just cut her off there and continue the conversation on the main street, where, inspired by Copenhagen’s pride festival the locals tossed together Gesten Pride.
Nick Højgaard, chairman of the organizational group, says that Gesten Pride is being held as a reaction
Join The Discussion
We’d love to hear from you!
To comment on a show or suggest a brew visit our web, twitter or Facebook pages. As always, we’d love to get a good rating on iTunes or Stitcher!
- Google Play: bit.ly/1VEhtx2
- Donate! wyoaids.org
- Voicemail: (513) 760–0463
Bonus Cat Video
Archer vs. Kingsman – bit.ly/2etsGmy
Kingsman: The Golden Circle – bit.ly/2uOqEUv
Thor Ragnarok: International Trailers – bit.ly/2etxPuN
Super Troopers 2 – bit.ly/2etsEL8
Blade of the Immortal – bit.ly/2etsJ1k